The Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: create simple visitable room in 3D in an applet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 am 
3DzzD Core Team

leandro wrote:
Hi, here we go:

1) I import the original file "CUBE.3DS" into Blender;
2) I take a screenshot to show the cube is imported nicely (rendered_with_blender.png);
3) I save the Blender project to send to you (imported_cube.blend);
4) I export the cube to 3ds (NEWCUBE.3DS).

When I try to load the NEWCUBE.3DS file into my modified version of HelloWorld (that works but only with models that have no texture), I see the object but it has a very very light color (no texture)... almost white... something like a rgb(253,253,253)... something like a ghost cube :lol:

If you need something more, just tell me... By the way, I'll do some tests with 3ds files on Wings3D too.

[]'s
Leandro

thanks this is very usefull, I made some first investigation with the 3ds from blender and found a cupple of way to look at :
- the 3ds from blender is completly different :) (i will send detail in another post)
- the 3ds from blender cannot be imported by 3ds max8 itself ! (3ds claim it is an unproper file format)
- lot of materials properties are removed from the original file (it only retain diffuse/ambiant/specular/spec power it miss spec level and some other specific stuff)
- camera is removed
- object is renamed
- some 3ds chunk are duplicated (as the diffuse texture chunk => it may explain why 3dzzd have trouble to load it)
- keyframer is removed
- there a lot of missing 3ds chunk/informations about mesh version, unit, etc...

I will post a more complete explanation later tonight, but this issue should be fixed and 3ds exported from blender will be loadable without too much trouble.

NB: I found that loading the model in a 3d converter and saving it make that it suddently appear valid for 3ds max 8.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 pm 
3DzzD Core Team

Ok I have finished a fix for the issue about blender texture load, the problem was comming from the uv mapping coordinate channel.

until the next 3DzzD release come out, you can download the fix patch from this post ( if you are lazy to rebuild the API, the zip also contain a pre-build dzzd.jar :) )

Attachment:
File comment: the zip contain two files :
dzzd.jar : build of 3DzzD API including the 3DS blender fix.

Scene3DLoader3DS.java : patched 3ds loader source code

dzzd.zip [162.41 KiB]
Downloaded 349 times

below some few bugs I found on the 3ds model exported from blender :
- original cube size is approx 80, blender exported cude is 1.
- no more camera in blender export
- object does not have the same name
- some material properties are missing
- some scene informations are missing (keyframe/hierarchie/mesh version/etc...)
- some chunks are duplicated (diffuse texture for example)
and some others, see the full dump below
Attachment:
File comment: difference between Blender 3ds export and 3DMAX (file dump)
BlenderMax3DSExportDiff.zip [1.14 KiB]
Downloaded 323 times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:23 am 
3DzzD Beginner

Oops :roll:

The new class has a little problem. It calls a method named "toLocalAxis" provided by IPoint3D interface (in line 368) but my version of IPoint3D don't have this method.
Maybe the problem is related to the last modifications to your next release. Well, if it compiles by you, means that have no problem in the next release. So, you don't need to worry about this now.

Quote:
if you are lazy to rebuild the API, the zip also contain a pre-build dzzd.jar

:lol: I use Eclipse, so it compiles everything automatically... so easy... Hahaha

I did a test using the compiled classes in dzzd.jar too. And... I see my cube again \o/ 8)

Thank you for your adjustments. I hope this don't cause impact in other places of your code... And I need to say: Blender make me nervous sometimes.

Have a nice day,
Leandro

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:16 am 
3DzzD Core Team

leandro wrote:
...The new class has a little problem. It calls a method named "toLocalAxis" provided by IPoint3D interface (in line 368) but my version of IPoint3D don't have this method.
Maybe the problem is related to the last modifications to your next release. Well, if it compiles by you, means that have no problem in the next release. So, you don't need to worry about this now....

oups.. yes the lastest release have a cupple of change including toLocalAxis on IPoint3D and I did not have yet put it online.

Quote:
hope this don't cause impact in other places of your code... And I need to say: Blender make me nervous sometimes.

no, this is finally a good addition and the loader is now better

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 am 
3DzzD Beginner

Hy everybody,

I am sorry but i haven't spend some time on my project, so i didn't progress on it.
I will try to create my room with 3DSmax, can somebody confirm me that i have to create it with the camera inside the room to be able to move inside the place? This my first difficulty, i haven't create any 3D object before.
Then i will try to import my object in the 3Dzzd applet to see it.
Then... i will try to move inside and to interact with walls and objects inside.
Is it hard to do something like that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm 
adding a camera is not requiered but will be easier (if there is no camara in the scene the defautl camera is used and you have to set its pos manually)

hardness depend on your programing skill, anyways even with low programming skills it should not be very hard, if you are interrested I have made a simplified Walktrought demo that I will share soon, the source code is only a cupple of lines.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm.